Copyright All rights reserved by Kickball Andrew

Thursday, September 16, 2010

So Busy!

Hi everybody!  I realize it's been a bit since I last wrote.  As you probably surmised, classes, clubs, events, and friends are keeping me happily busy.  I've gotten to do a bunch of really cool things this week and here's a few of them:

On Monday, for my first Seminar in Environmental Issues we took a field trip to a biodynamic farm run by a spry, elderly dowser named Charles Hubbard.  Luckily for me, I'm happy to learn about anything and sometimes the more out-there an idea is, the more fun it is to hear.  However, Charles's philosophy took it a bit farther than even my open mind could handle. Using concepts of sacred geometry, power circles, dowsing for energy lines, building pyramids, and walking labyrinths Charles has created a lovely, productive farm.  I was even part of a dowsing demonstration, to show how a person's aura changes in size when you are feeling neutral, emitting negative thoughts, and emitting positive ones (apparently my natural aura extends slightly beyond my fingertips when my arm is outstretched).  By the end of the class, Charles started talking about time windows, other dimensions, and portals.  Needless to say, no one, including the professor, realized what we were getting into.  Also, if you need to know how to bend a coat hanger into a shape that will neutralize potentially cancer-causing energy lines running through your house, give me a call.
For more info and pictures, look into:
http://www.centralnovascotia.com/members/shinimicasrogationcentre/
http://www.sacredstewardship.net/id3.html

I spent Tuesday evening at a more down-to-earth, but equally interesting event.  I attended the first of three workshops for the regional Tantramar 2040 initiative.  This project is attempting to mitigate the effects of climate change on the Tantramar region (Sackville, Port Elgin, Memramcook, Dorchester, and surrounding rural areas) by creating a pro-active sustainability plan integrating community collaboration.  The event was partially coordinated by EOS Eco-Energy, a local non-profit for which I will be volunteering this semester. 
The workshop had a strong turnout, the dinner highlighting local food was delicious, community members contributed enthusiastically, and the open structure of the event created a comfortable space to express concerns and suggest solutions.  I also wrote an article summarizing the event for Mt. Allison's newspaper, The Argosy, so I'll let you know if it gets published!
Check out: 
http://www.eosecoenergy.com/

Wednesday was a bit more low-key.  I'm joining a running club.  Our first event, the Terry Fox Run, is this Sunday.  We are running 4 kilometers on the Confederation Bridge that connects New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.  According to its website, "The curved, 12.9 kilometre (8 mile) long bridge is the longest in the world crossing ice-covered water, and a decade after its construction, it endures as one of Canada’s top engineering achievements of the 20th century."
See:
http://www.terryfox.org/ConfederationBridge.html
http://www.confederationbridge.com/en/our_story.php

So that leaves today, Thursday.  Before classes I met with EOS Eco-Energy, learned more about the organization's projects, shared my background, and set up volunteering for the semester.  Tonight I attended the New Brunswick Provincial Election - Candidates Debate at Mt. A.  The candidates did not disappoint!  It was really neat to attend this event and compare it to American politics.  There are four parties running in the Tantramar riding: Green candidate Margaret Tusz-King, Liberal candidate Beth Barczyk, New Democratic Party candidate Bill Evans (who was particularly hilarious), and Progressive Conservative candidate Mike Olscamp.  Members of the community drove the agenda, asking questions about their interests.  Many of the questions posed tonight have a different focus from concerns at home, though some are the same: bushes, bridges, pot holes (hm...sounds familiar in DC), fair prices for fishermen, supporting local farmers, electoral reform, decentralization of decision-making, government deficits, seniors, health-care, and energy.
Go to:
http://www.electionalmanac.com/canada/newbrunswick/

And this doesn't even cover the fun social stuff I did...anyways, I'm having a blast here and send love to everyone at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment