Copyright All rights reserved by Kickball Andrew

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hurricane Earl...lasted for about four hours.

When hurricane Earl hit Sackville we got some wind and heavy rain, but it only lasted from about 11:00am to the afternoon.

Hurricane Earl hits Sackville...not too hard.

Despite the ominous forecast, I ventured out to meet a friend at the Farmer's Market, which is held every Saturday morning.  Unfortunately, because of the rain the Farmer's Market was reduced to three stands, the "wine guy," the "bread guy," and the "cheese guy" inside the Bridge Street Cafe (a warm and cozy coffee shop that houses the Farmer's Market during the cold months).  Happily, what the farmer's market was lacking in quantity, it was not lacking in quality.  The "cheese guy" gave me a full explanation of his range of cheeses complete with free samples.  I could not resist buying a tub of his cinnamon cream cheese made from goat's milk.


After coffee at the Bridge Street Cafe, I was introduced to another delicious treat, Ginger Snaps at the Kookie Kutter Bakery (they sell the "rejects" for only $0.69!).  They also have Cinnamon & Honey Snaps and Vanilla Flax Snax...both of which I'm sure I'll try.  The ginger snaps are delicious with my cinnamon cream cheese!

For lunch, I went to meet the residents of 10 Park, a houseful of amazingly friendly Mt. A students!  Another really friendly Killam Fellow from Mt. A (currently at AU) introduced me.  They were kind enough to have me over for lunch (try putting sauteed mushrooms and green onions in mac and cheese...you won't be disappointed!...and chigae soup, perfect for a cold and rainy day!); give me an in-depth explanation of Canadian history and government as we waited out hurricane Earl's fury; introduce me to their other Mt. A friends; give me a tour of Mt. A's satellite houses; have me over for dinner (a delicious quinoa salad and Garlic Fingers from Joey's...a maritime tradition!); give me a tour of Sackville's Waterfowl Park; and have me over for a movie night of The Birds (by the end of the movie, a fresh loaf of bread finished baking - we ate it still steaming as the actors made their last attempt to escape).

10 Park
Rainy Waterfowl Park

Rainy Sackville from the Waterfowl Park
I will have to come up with an especially delicious thank-you for their incredible generosity!












2 comments:

  1. Em - I will live in that red house some day. What a perfect little cottage!!! Ahhhh it's like a fairytale! Looks like you're living in quite a beautiful place...even the abandoned building after it is gorgeous!
    --Bonbon

    ReplyDelete
  2. um...and those gingersnaps would be sold for $0.69...why are you always associated with that number?!

    ReplyDelete